Sarah - Buffalo Grove, Illinois

There are some questions that come about during the course of a day that require a certain amount of thought. Questions such as, ‘Do’ or ‘Don’t’, are questions we can’t always answer immediately, we think about what the right thing would be. In my case, I think about what G-d would want me to do.

My faith is an integral part of my life, and it guides me through all my decisions. I believe in my faith.

Judaism stands on 13 fundamentals, called the Ani Mamin’s. Everyday after saying the morning prayers, I recite these verses declaring my complete belief in G-d and His creations. The first verse expresses the belief that there is only one creator, who is in charge of the entire world: “I believe, with perfect faith that the Creator, blessed is His name, He creates and conducts all the creations and He alone made, makes, and will make all that is made.” These verses give me a deeper connection with my faith.

Life is filled with miracles that prove to me that there is a higher power than man, that there truly is one creator, in charge of the entire world. No man could ever have created something as delicate as a newborn, as gorgeous as a sunset, or as loving as a mother feeding her baby. My faith is based on the fact there is a higher force, there is a G-d.

When faced with a problem, I know that there is somewhere I can turn, I’m never alone. I believe that G-d is always there, and I can ask Him for guidance during crises or even my most minor problems.

Three times a day, I take a break from my daily activities to praise and thank G-d for all He does for me each and every second of every day. I ask him to forgive me for past sins, send a recovery to the sick, and give me health and success. I know that my prayers are heard when I wake up in the morning alive and well, surrounded by all the people that mean most to me. I believe that G-d hears my prayers.

Some things are passed on from generation to generation. In most cases there is a choice in whether one accepts the inheritance or not. In Judaism, our belief is the heritage that we pass from father to son, mother to daughter. When a child first learns to talk, they are taught Modeh Ani and Shema Yisrael. When a girl turns three she starts to light the Sabbath candles, and a boy will begin wearing his kippa, or head covering. By learning about our faith from such a young age, we learn to accept the laws and customs with happiness and excitement. Even though I didn’t choose to be Jewish, I thank G-d everyday for making me a Jew. I believe that I was chosen, by G-d, to be a Jew.

In Chaim Potok’s, The Chosen he says, “A man must fill his life with meaning; meaning is not automatically given to life” Since the fifth grade when my teacher told me that every person on this Earth has a purpose, I’ve found myself pondering on the questions that have intrigued me since; Why am I here, What is my mission in life? To find my mission, and fulfill it, is the hardest part. Putting meaning in your life can only be achieved by reaching your own goals, and with time learning the goal of G-d. By keeping G-d’s commandments, I feel that I’m reaching my own goals, as well as His. My faith is my purpose for being here. I believe in my faith.