Tahelia - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Themes: golden rule

I Believe in the Golden Rule

The Golden Rule is an ethical principle that appears in many religions. In Christianity it says: “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them” (–Matthew 7:12). In other words, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” or simply “Treat others the way you want to be treated”. This is known as RESPECT!

When you go shopping in a store and it is time for you to ring your stuff up what impression do you expect to get from the cashier, and what should the customer give back? Here are three examples from my experience as a retail cashier:

Example 1: When you walk up to a cashier and you’re talking on the cell phone, which gives the cashier the right to talk to others too. You won’t get the customer service of, “Hello and how are you today?” because your being on the phone is more important than their respect. End your phone call before reaching the register, and then you can receive a wonderful greeting that makes you feel that that person cares.

Example 2: When you walk up to the register and don’t put your items on the counter, don’t expect the cashier to reach into your cart and do it for you. They aren’t your maids, and they could hurt themselves from reaching over the counter. If you and the cashier work together you could take your things out and the cashier will take the items from you. And as he/she folds and bags your things, the two of you could develop an interesting conversation that could brighten your day.

Example 3: Once the cashier tells you the total for your purchase, don’t put the money on the counter and hold your hand out for your returned change; otherwise, you’ll receive your money on the counter, too. The cashier doesn’t want to have to slide money off the counter because it can be frustrating and time consuming, especially if you gave the cashier mostly coins. You can also offend them in many ways from making them feel as though they have bad hygiene even to demonstrating racial discrimination. Instead, put the money in their hand and you will receive it back in your hand with a “Have a nice day!” This makes the cashier feel appreciated and happy to serve you.

Once you show respect to your cashier they will make you, the customer, feel important too. Using respectful and courteous behavior toward each other shows that you care. And your respectful behavior makes the cashier want to serve you again and the customer wanting to come back to your register every time they shop in your store. I believe that the rule of showing respect to others can be truly golden.