Amanda - Ponca City, Oklahoma

After seeing many years of breaking hearts and hurting bodies, I believe that laughter has the power to change the world. However, the only way we can understand this power is by letting ourselves experience a true laugh.

At this time in the world, there is so much hurt and devastation that seeing someone laugh until they cry is a rare event. This is why when I can put a smile on someone’s face, my need to make a positive difference in someone’s life is fulfilled. The popular saying that “Laughter is the best medicine” is especially true when a heart and soul is wounded. Last year my best friend was diagnosed with cervical cancer. This new found information left her feeling depressed and scared. With my talent of making people laugh, I worked to help her open up and laugh during this difficult time. Recently, she told me that she had not cared whether she lived or died, but when I would make her laugh she felt like a burden was being lifted from her shoulders. She is proof that every time a person takes the opportunity to laugh, that person’s heart and soul is being mended from the effects of anger, sadness, and whatever other illness may reside in these two sacred areas of your body. Therefore, all people can have their burdens lifted and be able to see the bright side of seemingly impossible situations.

Some people laugh more than others and they end up with lines on their faces. Then they work to find a way to make them disappear. To me, laugh lines are what makes a person beautiful. Each one has a story to tell and every time you look at them you can remember some wonderful memories. When others look upon your face and see those lines, they will realize that you are or were a happy person. This quality will draw people to the individual inside that caused those laugh lines. Look at yourself in the mirror with a frown upon your face and then smile. Think about which makes you feel better about yourself and which has relieved you during a difficult time.

The way laughter has aided me in making a difference in others’ lives is an amazing feeling. This has led me to live my life with a positive outlook. I can only hope that others will do as I will and embrace those laugh lines and find the bright side on the journey through this life.