Nathan - La Vista, Nebraska
Themes: sports

It’s Friday night and the lights go in Foundation Field in Papillion, Nebraska. The fans fill the seats for the two teams that are about to play on the gridiron for the district title. The away team, coming from the other side of the city in North Omaha, The Omaha North Vikings, and the home team the Papillion-La Vista Monarchs. Papillion-with a two to three record-were the predicted underdogs against the Vikings and their four and one record. All week most of the Monarchs practiced hard for Friday night, and it when it came around the fans were screaming, the band was playing, and everyone knew it was Friday night. This is why I believe in Teamwork.

We came out onto the Field in all maroon for it was the game in which we were all waiting for. This game was going to change our High School career for better or for worse. Our record stated that we could defeat our two rivals, Creighton Prep and Papillion South, but when it comes to the top ranked teams, we didn’t have what it takes. As we got into our huddle ready to tear our way into the paper the cheerleaders were holding, the team captains were getting us pumped up. We were all going insane with anticipation, despite a few faces which read “what am I doing here” we were ready to go. We flew through the golden paper screaming along with the crowd and got into a second huddle in which one of our starting players, who always found excuses not to be with the team outside of practice, jumped on top to attempt to pump us up again. We

We lost the coin toss and received the ball and got stopped around the fifteen yard line. The first play of the game North’s Nose Guard got loose and got a sac. We then ran the ball for minimal yards and threw an incomplete pass which resulted in a punt situation. The player who returned the punt caught the ball and ran it to the five yard line. We stopped them the first two plays, but they put six on the board the next play. The whole first half our offence was doing well our receivers were getting open but the Quarterback was getting sacked.

The stepped up we were getting plays down like we should have been. But after a while that changed and we could not get the ball off. Along with that our defense started to play poorly. We then tied up the game but our defense let by two big plays; the first was a run in which four players missed tackles and the ball carrier ran thirty yards for a touchdown. My prediction for the sudden failure on defense was that most of the defensive players also played on offense which caused them to think of their failures on defense.

The final score of the game was thirty five to twenty one. We were not unified as a team and did not play to our full potential. The players made mistakes on assignments causing other players to make tackles or block for them resulting in huge plays against the defense or a loss of yards for the offense. The way we treat each other is how the game is won, if we treat each other with respect and as equals we win the game, but if we talk down to our teammates and act high and mighty we lose. People have to stop thinking about themselves and start thinking about the team in order to achieve victory.

After the game Coach Suhr was telling us about teams of past that have won state championships. He said they had half the skill we did, but we lose to them because they worked together and they had more motivation; they would probably die for each other. I believe him and I thought this since the beginning of the season. Our whole team runs our mouth and never thinks of each other. We’re overconfident and the karma is showing itself and we deserve it. We could have beaten North and the teams before them, but we just were cocky and didn’t work. But most of all we weren’t united as a team.