Annie - Whitefish, Montana

Annie Harris

Mrs. MacKenzie

College Comp

November 19, 2006

Believing

Fate is powerful. It has the power to make or break life. Fate is defined as something that unavoidably befalls a person, a fortune, a lot. Fate, sometimes called destiny, means more than just one’s future or outcome of a situation; it can be considered the order in which things occur or prophetic declaration of what might be. Furthermore, fate can have a negative connotation; meaning death, destruction, or ruin. Either way fate is portrayed, I strongly believe it is one of the most powerful forces among our world and continues to be a part of our lives daily.

Fate is Mother Nature’s brother because they are both powerful enough to choose their own path, regardless of outside efforts to cease its activity. Fate is a purpose, a reason for being. It can accomplish amazing dreams, create everlasting relationships, or ruin or lives; however, everything happens for a reason. I trust in fate and believe in its supremacy stalwartly.

God or another godly figure intended for things to happen. If nothing happened for a reason, society would be trapped in a time warp. Everything would mirror another; no one would diverge down a different path, resulting in our pre-planned destinies. When one makes a mistake, they usually learn from that experience and carry that knowledge throughout their life making sure not to make the same mistake again.

I cannot decide if fate is pre-planned or spontaneous. I believe it could be pre-planned because we have a purpose to serve on earth or else we would have not been brought into the world. Every individual in the world has a purpose to serve, whether it is finding the cure for cancer or creating the next biggest technological advance, we all have a reason to live.

Complex decisions burden our everyday lives. I sometimes end up finding myself in frenzy over what to eat for dinner, but I go with my gut feeling. Decisions and choices are attracted by fate and encourage us to choose one or the other. Without fate guiding us to our choices, we would not do what’s best for us or possibly not do anything at all. Fate plays and important role in everyone’s life.

Fate is powerful. It can bring people together. I encountered a face to face experience with fate a little over two years ago while traveling to Europe for a soccer tournament. Not planning on meeting anyone special in Europe, fate decided to bring someone into my life who took me down a different path. Tim, who has been my boyfriend since that summer in 2004, led me down an undiscovered path of happiness that was anxiously awaiting my arrival. I do not know why we met; we just did; we were supposed to, and I could really feel that. There is nothing stronger than our connection with each other today, and fate revealed our emerging passion. I wonder what life would be like if fate did not abruptly interrupt. I imagine I would be a different person and have a completely different lifestyle.

Fate is powerful enough to bring out the best in oneself. My parent’s ugly divorce in 2003 tore my family apart and ironically brought us closer together. We needed each other’s daily support to stay strong and remember out love for one another. Without my family, I would not have been able to see through the horrifying divorce. I know fate intended the split to happen and that it was best for us at the time. If fate did not act in this situation, I would not have had the courage to look through such a traumatic experience nor be the young woman I am so happy to freely express today. All of my feelings and incidences occurred because everything happens for a reason.