Tyler - Sacramento, California

Self Expression

The world is full people who express themselves in ways that show the public eye who they are and what they have to say. People express who they are by the clothes that they wear, the style and color of their hair, the music that flows through our hearts and expressed through our vocals, our religions that we practice to give us something to believe in and the list goes on because the possibilities that let us be who we want to be are endless. I value self expression in my life because it lets us utilize our freedom is this country to be who we thrive to be with limitless boundaries. The differences that we have as people are what tie us together and what can ultimately tear us apart but expressions that we show to this world are what give us our individuality.

Clothing has always made a statement about what kind of person that we are and a lot of the times has to do with the music that we listen to. With all of the different types of music that come and go through this world, there are always the ones that will never leave. There has always been the punk rock world where tight jeans and tattoos reign throughout the culture, since the 80’s there has been an uprising in the hip hop community which is still on a drastic rise, a jazz and old school world that is sometimes hard to identify from the clothes that they wear but can be easily pulled apart from others, and more that seem to all fall into these groups, just maybe not as drastic. But the expressions that these cultures have on us show how different our world really is and how wonderful our differences can really be.

Tattooing our bodies have always been the most permanent way to express ourselves and can create much controversy in our lives with the way that we are looked at by our peers, the job market and our society. I feel that this gives us a choice though on how we are going to live our lives and what direction we are going to choose. I have tattooed my body for the love of the artwork and the love of the culture but have carefully placed them so that I would never have a problem or a doubt that my future could be ruined by my decisions now. In a way it is sad that I would ever have to worry about this, the fact that my decisions let others judge me but it is a truth of life that I have faced and have to deal with.

I value self expression to the fullest in my life and we all should too. We should not be afraid to stand up in this world and show each other who we are and show the world what we stand for, whether they like it or not. I am me.