Amy - whitefish, Montana
Themes: nature

Amy Wright

I Believe Essay

Life, beauty, simplicity, all of these concepts are found in nature, and are in desperate need for rediscovering. Life in general was such a simple thing. Before humans, trees grew, changed colors, frosted, and regrew. Everything was a process with natural interruptions here and there. But in today’s modern world, people, their lives, and their environments are anything but simple. I believe in everything nature encompasses, and I have a desire for all of these elements to be brought back into this world. Each aspect of life would be a delightful combination of respect and love for nature’s beauty.

After spending seventeen years in the remote woods of Montana I have grown to love seasons, mornings, afternoons: everything each day has to offer. A simple walk with my dog involves flowing streams, wild rabbits, newborn spotted deer, and more green and yellow shades than an art room. Life could still be lived to its fullest if everyone slowed down, and took the second to smile and know how lucky they are to be alive. Nature is the most beautiful thing, and it deserves to be loved and cared for.

Nature. Simplicity. Before the age of mansions and computers, even the life of a human was relatively simple. People were just like any other animal, food, water, shelter, and friendship may be the only components needed to live successfully. But man’s ability to grow and change and learn brought their race so far above any other animal. Today few people even worry about a cold winter or a shortage of fruit; it just means buying an extra coat or eating a few more vegetables. The advancements humans have made technologically are extremely impressive, but I feel these changes clutter the otherwise normal functions of life. Although going back to a world similar to cavemen is impossible, I believe if each family made an effort to simplify their lives ( owning less cars, having one television, eating dinner together nightly, and spending ‘electronic-fee’ time together ) everyone would be better-off.

Nature could be defined as the process of life forms evolving. This core process is a part of everything. Trees, animals, people, each form naturally changes and grows over time. A part of this process is death, but natural death isn’t what fills today’s newspapers and broadcasts. Killing, homicide, murder, many different names are put to the concept of one person ending the life of another purposely and often without any form of gain. Along with the advancements of man curses such as guns and bombs have developed. I truly feel if everyone first understood how nature intends life to form, change, and end on its own, then they could step out of crime and allow nature to determine the end of a life.

It seems ironic to have to work to make something simple, but finding a flowing and perfect way of life is part of nature. Daily man changes and grows further from yesterday’s ways of life. And, although this change is inevitable, I feel that if everyone made a conscious effort this world could be saved from a technological takeover. I believe that each individual, (man, animal, tree, stream) everything should fulfill a natural, beautiful, and simple way of life. Taking a few steps back to realize how scary this fast paced change really is may help everyone calm down and recapture nature.