Many people get terrified when they hear the words “Arranged Marriage”. These people view this process as a forced union of a future unhappy couple. I, however, have nothing against this idea or other ways of marriage.

This method is still used worldwide, in countries such as, India, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Turkey, Japan, and many more. However, it has changed in some ways to attract modern children. Parents now suggest the person they feel eligible, but the final decision is made by the child.

An arranged marriage is a joining of two probable partners, negotiated by the parents. In the past, the parents simply did this negotiation with a family they found to be compatible with their son or daughter. Since parents know best, it is believed that their approval and blessings would ensure a successful marriage.

I live in America and my family originates from the country India, where this tradition is very popular. Though many Indian children who have moved to America have faded from these ideas, I still believe it is a true method. This method may prove to be true because the country of India has one of the lowest divorce rates compared to other countries.

The idea of the arranged marriage counts back to the fact that the new wife will live with her husband’s entire family after the marriage. Therefore, the arranged marriage system provides two families with similar morals and cultural values to join, and provides a checks and balances against areas that may disintegrate with time. This elaborate system allows the idea of divorces to become very rare.

For example, my parents were engaged over the phone, 5 months later engaged in person, and 6 months later married. Since then, they have been happily married and recently they just celebrated their 22nd anniversary. Even though, their marriage was a very intense example of an arranged marriage, growing up seeing this positive union I have no reason to believe it doesn’t work.

It is very hard to agree to a life-partner found by his or her parents, without his or her will. However, the approval of both parents is very necessary in a long healthy marriage. To adapt to modern culture, the method of arranged marriages has altered, but the main idea remains, and the result is one successful marriage after another.