JASMIN - LA PLATA, Maryland

At the age of seventeen I have learned many different lessons in my life. Some have come to me through good experiences, and others have come from bad. However, there is one lesson that I can say I’m glad I learned: There is such a thing as a true friend, mine is Ms. Ashley Balentine, and there are four simple traits to identify a true friend.

Trait 1: A true friend is an ESOL teacher with no concept of time. I say this because Ashley can understand every thing that I am saying to her at two o’clock on Tuesday morning in between my uncontrollable sobbing, blowing my nose, and bites of cookie dough ice cream. Once I start crying it sounds like I am speaking another language, but she still catches every word (sometimes she may need me to repeat some things). No matter what time I call her, she will always answer and if she is sleeping, she will wake up. To her, in my time of need, two in the morning is the same as two in the afternoon.

Trait 2: A true friend does not mind having to wash her clothes after you’ve had a bad day. Most times my bad days involve tears and Ashley will not let me cry alone, oh no, that is not acceptable. She lets me cry on her shoulder, she lets me cry in her lap, she lets me cry in her arms, basically, she lets me cry wherever my head falls after I throw my tantrum. When my emotional crying has slowed into light sobs, Ashley releases me and stands up. Her clothing has big wet spots with traces of mascara, eye shadow, and snot. Even if I were to cry on her favorite outfit, she would not yell at me, she would just let out a sigh, look at me, smile, and walk me to the bathroom. When she gets home she will laugh as she puts her clothes in the washer.

Trait 3: A true friend does not understand the point of a GPS Locator because they always know where you are, no matter what. If I am not with Ashley she knows where I am and everyone knows that she knows where I am. We have both became very familiar with the phrase, “Where’s the other one?” Not seeing us is a very unusual occurrence, but we are always together mentally. Sometimes I think that she knows what I am doing before I even tell her.

Trait 4: a true friend will always be there for you. This is my favorite trait of a true friend. It is also the trait that shines so brightly from Ashley. Through all my ups and downs she has always been there for me. Sometimes it may get real rough, but she will never turn her back on me. I am so thankful for this. Some people may have different ideas for traits of a true friend, but this is one trait that should be universal.

In life there you will meet so many new people. Some you will only remember for a second and others you may remember for a lifetime. But that one true friend that you find in life, you will remember past the lengths of eternity. If there is one thing that I can say is true and that I believe it with all my heart it is God will grant each and every one of us at least one true friend.