Barbara - Chatham, New York
Themes: war

A Letter to the World

I know it’s presumptuous to try to communicate with all the people of the world. Bur when I awoke this morning at dawn I suddenly felt the need to try. Something in the slight breeze on my skin from the open window, the sound of birdsong, and the stretching of my sleepy dog as she slowly greeted a new day, suggested that if we could all connect with each other we could change forever the chaotic path we are on. I think the majority of us would like nothing more than to take a deep breath and experience the taste of a new day.

What if every peace-seeking person simply refused to fight, and laid down arms supplied by those who think that violence is the answer to conflict. If we refused to hate. If we refused to be manipulated, incited, and refused to try to change someone else’s religious or cultural beliefs. Let the power-hungry leaders who have turned to greed and egotism face each other in an arena and among themselves only, fight the futile fights. The rest of us can raise the children, grow the food, share knowledge, laugh, and watch the rain fall and the standard of living rise.

There are those who say that we have always had conflict and war, that it is invevitable. I say those people have been reacting, fueled by those who teach hate and despair. They are convinced that if something is simple it’s not real. It’s time to shift that way of seeing, and dare to be simplistic. What have we got to lose, and more importantly, to gain.

If George Bush and other leaders scream that it’s impossible, turn away. How long would they continue if no one were listening? What if everyone turned their backs on the hate, the power plays, the negative, and instead joined forces to nurture each other’s sameness and differences? It might be our last chance at a life worth living. Instead of looking to these leaders to solve our problems, we can look within, and nurture ourselves and those around us. Violence hasn’t worked, it never will. We can change that pattern.

We need to embrace, to break rank with the status quo. To step out of the chaos and look in a new direction. It’s time for the madness to stop.

Sincerely,

Barbara