This I believe…”destiny is not a matter of chance, but a matter of choice.” My sister who is older than I and far more experienced first introduced this quote to me. She herself read the phrase sometime during the end of her high school career, which helped guide her into and through college successfully. It was not until my senior year that this quote actually made its impact on my thought process. Taking after my sister, I manage to apply this philosophy to my current personal goals.

Closing out my high school career, I have come to the realization that education costs. And in order for me to continue on someone has to pay and I figure why should I have to pay for my education? That which I figure is a right, not a privilege and expected, not disregarded, education that is. Envisioning this and understanding my next step I have deeply engaged in applying myself to my studies and joining school organizations that will direct me in my main goal: getting a scholarship. Now applying the quote to myself: my destiny is getting into college with a scholarship and my choice is working to earn that scholarship. By making this choice I am setting myself up with the beneficial advantages and support to make my destiny something worthwhile.

Chance is not something you would want to rest your education on. Chances are too broad and unpredictable and leave you with no backup or plan B. Therefore, either it happens or not; and if not, then that is a major loss on your part. One chance I took was in the beginning of my high school career when I was still an athlete and at the time I ran track. In sports I was never big on going to the doctor or worrying about minor injuries despite advice. I believed in just taking a chance, “whatever happens happens.” Long story short, I suffer till this day from not taking care of my body and not listening to those who knew well. It was also one reason I ended my athletic career early than expected. The chance I took there I am still unhappy with because I missed out on what I love doing.

With my senior days quickly coming to a close, I am now turning my dream into reality. By applying for a scholarship, I hope to be rewarded for my hard work, determination and dedication to my educational and personal success. Anyone can dream a dream, but success comes from action, and I consider myself successful because of my actions. The purpose of an academic scholarship is to ensure all college bound students, who have demonstrated a successful history in academia and other activities, be afforded the opportunity to pursue their education and develop a career. Applying and receiving an academic scholarship will be me making a choice for the betterment of my destiny in which I believe will make a major difference in my future.