Meghan - Newark, Ohio

Change Isn’t Always a Bad Thing

“Be careful, don’t speed, and call as soon as you get there.” It never fails; my parents were always worried about my long drive back to school after a weekend home. Coming home was always a joyous affair. My family acted as if I had come back from the grave, welcoming me with delicious treats that my mom had prepared in order for my long-awaited arrival from school, and my laundry was eagerly cleaned and folded neatly back into my laundry basket. The time came to depart with yet another car full of books and bags. We said our goodbyes, filled with hugs and kisses, along with mom’s inevitable tears. I had never planned on going away to college, and at a young age, thought that I had my entire life planned out. Little did I know what the future had in store.

My entire adolescence had been quietly uneventful. I was raised in a traditional family, lived in the same house all my life, went to one school, attended the same church every Sunday, and had the same friends since kindergarten. As graduation approached my senior year in high school, everyone was anxiously making plans to attend the best colleges, and I had finally narrowed down the list to a college of my choice. Leaving for college, packing up all I had ever known, and leaving behind everything I had ever loved, was the most significant change I had yet to experience in my young life. I had dreaded changes like this my whole life; to be out of my comfort zone, having to make new friends, and adjust to life with brand new surroundings. Allowing myself to get to know new people, and establishing friendships with them was a blessing in disguise that would soon reveal itself.

The giant black X’s through the days on our calendars had filled up the months, finally to reach the week of spring break. Amidst all of the sharing of pictures and telling of stories surrounding fun-in-the-sun trips to exotic destinations, I received a phone call that one of my friends had not made the safe return from his vacation. At once, my happy thoughts of good times were drowned by giant waves of sorrow for Seth, and memories of all of our times spent together, flooded my mind and overwhelmed me with grief.

My new friends were also experiencing what I was going through which allowed us to mold together to get through the storm that had so suddenly over-shadowed our lives. If I had not allowed myself to not be afraid of change in my life, I would not have had the privilege to meet a person like Seth, nor would I have the wonderful people that are now in my life. All of these changes have helped me to become the person that I am today, arriving at my belief, that change isn’t always a bad thing.