Everyone has an experience at some point in their life which defines their intellectual and personal development in the future, as well as establishes a strong belief. I have had one of these experiences in the form of a childhood encounter with my dad’s profession; commander of Air Force One. This experience changed my perception and molded the foundation of my intellectual and personal growth, while emphasizing my belief that diligence and patience will pave the way for success.

This experience occurred when I was 13 years old, at a critical point in my life where I was unsure of a possible future career and had skewed beliefs. My dad had decided to take me into work to show me around, this was the first time I had been to his complex which was a giant hangar with an office building attached. It was amazing to think that he controlled this complicated structure surrounded by barbed wire fence and guard shacks. Once we had cleared security, we were escorted down a long hallway lined with the portraits of previous pilots of the prestigious plane, Air Force One. The hall of portraits concluded with my dad looking back at me from one of the most recent pictures. The door at the end of this hallway was opened with a suction sound and I was thrust into the light. I opened my eyes and before me stood two massive planes, each of them identical; both over three stories high, both with a blue and white paintjob, both of them under my dads control. The effect was instantaneous and I immediately had the blinding realization of what I wanted to become, I wanted to follow in my dads footsteps and become the next Presidential Pilot.

After this riveting encounter, there was shift in my beliefs. At the time, I believed that you had to be lucky to achieve success, and success was the one that chose you. After this experience, I realized that you choose your success, and that you have complete control over the level of success you strive to achieve. Careful analysis of the qualities and characteristics of my dad further lead me to believe that the most important aspects for success include diligence and patience.

The belief and knowledge that I gained from this experience still has a profound effect on my lifestyle today; it encourages me to strive for my best in school and it still remains a concrete example of the belief that you make your own success. The diligence and patience of my dad have given him a successful career. I believe if I epitomize these qualities, I can also establish success of my own.