GABBY - WHITE PLAINS, Maryland
Themes: parenthood

I believe that every child should listen to their parents. Almost every child likes to think that they know everything. But, it is true what they say, mother really does know best.

When I was born my parents already had a dog that was pretty old. Her name was Nikki and even at only a few years of age, she became my best friend. When she would lie down, she did not even care if I lay next to her and used her as a pillow. When I got to be about four years old, I was in a stage where I was curious about everything and I was determined to find out everything I wanted to know. One thing that I was very curious about was Nikki’s ears. I could not understand why they were so big and floppy and so unlike mine. I just did not know why Nikki needed such big ears, especially because she never listened to anyone.

Right after I discovered the difference between my ears and Nikki’s ears, I ran to a mirror and tried to look in my ears. Eventually I became discouraged because I could not see in my ears. So, I went into the living room and proceeded to grab one of Nikki’s ears. When my mom came in and saw what I was doing, she scolded me saying, “Don’t do that!” Then she continued by saying, “If you keep messing with her ears, she’s going to bite you”. Since I was a good kid, I dropped Nikki’s ear and went outside to play. The nest day, I saw Nikki and all I could think of was my mother’s warning to leave her alone. But, then I reasoned that my mom must simply be crazy, how could my sweet, old dog bite me? Just then my curiosity took over and I once again grabbed Nikki’s ear. My mom saw what I was doing and said, “Remember what I told you yesterday?” I scrunched up my face and gave my mother a look that said, “Don’t talk to me like I’ m stupid”. I went back to pulling on the ear and all of a sudden, Nikki let out a low growl. Eventually she got so annoyed that she lunged toward me sinking her sharp teeth into my forehead. As soon as I realized what had happened I started to scream bloody murder.

My mom rushed to me and immediately saw blood starting to trickle down my face. She pushed me into the bathroom and reached for the peroxide. She then got out the band-aids and stuck a big square one on my forehead. I realized then that my mother was right. Despite the fact that I was only four years old, I finally understood that I did not know everything. That is why to this day as I look in the mirror at the scar on my forehead I believe that every child should listen to their parents.