Camaron - sacramento, California

One of the most impactful series of events to happen to me began when I was a young boy finding out that Santa Clause was not real. I could not understand why my parents would put me in a position to be misinformed amongst my peers. I felt foolish for believing and angry that it was my parents fault. Until that point in time it had been my impression that they were there to teach me the truth. Yet here they were feeding me lies. My parents had violated my trust, my friends had laughed at me, and I was thoroughly discouraged with the idea of believing in anything again. I found myself turning to the sciences to build a knowledge base that would not be as disputable. However, what I found myself doing was sifting through the facts to find room for extraordinary possibilities. I clearly still had a desire to believe but I was not ready to let unfounded beliefs shape the way that I live my life. Then something happened to me as I was walking to work about a month ago. I found two brilliantly colored polished rocks sitting on a banister. It seemed to me that they did not belong to anyone or what is more likely that they had been left behind. So I took the rocks and after inspecting them I put them in the back pocket of my work pants. . As it was I was not having the best day and I was not looking forward to going to work. So I found myself wishing that the two rocks were good luck. Feeling a little guilty for taking the rocks I began to justify my taking them by delegating to them a purpose. Then I recalled two memories. The first was a television show in which a man in handcuffs had used the power of God to break them apart. Being to afraid myself to believe in such things I was envious that he could capitalize on the mental power of such things. Then I remembered something that I used to do to myself as a boy. When I was swimming I used to pretend that there was a shark chasing me in the pool. My heart rate would quicken and would swim furiously away from the pretend shark. Then it occurred to me that moment, born out of a desire to have extra help getting through a tough day that I might be able to do something similar. I did feel silly at first making believe that the rocks had magical properties. So I decided that in order for me to feel there “power” I would have to come up with a way to be reminded of their presence. What I decided was that if they stay in my back pocket they would certainly be uncomfortable to sit on and that would remind me that I had made a choice. That choice was to be at work doing my job to the best of my ability. What I found that day is that thinking about the rocks really did help me because I chose to invest some belief in them. What is more is that with each new and difficult circumstance that I make it through it seems to me that these rocks become more instrumental in my success. And for the first time in years I was reunited with the power of belief.