Danielle - Belvidere, Illinois
Themes: hope

I believe in family. I believe in best friends. I believe in mittens in the fall and going barefoot in the hot sand in summer. I believe that black and white photographs keep memories alive, and that music has the power to heal anything. I believe that bubble wrap is better than therapy, that M&Ms are more effective than medicine, and that home is better than hospital.

But most of all I believe in hope. Hope, not faith. Faith gives away your power. Faith takes away your responsibility. Hope is about possibility. Hope requires you to try to fix your own problems. Hope is about optimism and the half full milk glass. Hope makes this possible, not easy. I believe in hope. Hope that imagination persists, that dreams come true, and that experience can be wrong. Hope that we never loose childish innocence. Hope that letters arrive, that smiles are more powerful than words, and that hugs are stronger than the pain. Hope that laughter erases tears. Hope that memories last forever, that mistakes fade away, and that we remember always. Hope that the world is good. Hope that things will get better, that the sun will rise tomorrow, and that tomorrow will be a new day. Hope that love is stronger than sickness.

I believe in hope. Hope that if the hospital is better than home, that if M&Ms cannot cure cancer, that if cellophane therapy is not enough, and that if hugs cannot make the pain go away that there is still hope. Hope that we remember kitchen karaoke, old-time pictures, summers in Cali, and autumn in Chicago. Hope that memories give strength. Hope that mike and ikes are secret miracle candy, that doctors come through, and that miracles really do happen. Hope that college will be completed, that weddings will be thrown, and that children will be had. Hope that there is a future. Hope that the present is fleeting. Hope that this will be soon in the past. Hope that there is always hope, because all I have is hope.