Caitlin - utica, Ohio
Themes: death, family

The day started out beautifully. The sun was shining and what was to come was unexpected. It was around twelve o’clock when the phone rang. My mom Diana, Sister Melissa and I looked at each other with wonder, who could that be, everyone that would call was at the house, and it wasn’t dad because he was already in camp hunting? I answered the phone and the voice on the other end was unfamiliar, he asked if Diana was there, dumbfounded I gave my mom the phone. All I could think was I have never heard that voice before. I looked at my mom, her face turned pale white, and she kept asking the same question, is he all right. She hung up the phone; I have to go to the hospital she said someone found grandpa in his car and they won’t tell me anything else over the phone. My mom left for the hospital and all Melissa and I could do was wait. My mom called later on that night and told us, grandpa had passed away and we would talk about what happened when she got home. When I heard that news my heart sank, I did not know what to do. I cried, screamed it was not fair, hated the fact that everyone else got more time with him and blamed him when I found out that he did not have his oxygen with him.

It felt strange, where would we have Christmas, what would be done with the house. My mom told me not to worry about those things but I did. The hardest thing to get over is that in some strange way he new it was his time. My mom and I came to this conclusion; he went to the store knowing that someone would find him because no one in the family had made plains to go visit him that day. It was hard and still is hard to realize he is gone.

Things in life happen for a reason. When these things happen, whatever they may be, we have to step back and look at the big picture. When my grandpa died in some ways, I was happy. He would never have to suffer another day. He would be able to walk freely without his oxygen tank. He would not have to take any more pills. Yes I was sad, he would never see me graduate or get married. In a way though I realized he would see me do these things and he would be proud. Being upset and mad at the world only makes everything worse. It took me awhile to face the facts and when I did I was happy. I my mind, my grandpa was in a better place. In my mind he was with my grandmother, she died eighteen years earlier, and they would finally be back together. This I Believe