Trina - Albuquerque, New Mexico

Katrina Vargas

Period 4

I believe that you shouldn’t dwell on the past. The past can consume you so much that you don’t live the present, if you do nothing but dwell on the past you will forget how to improve from it. The past is what we build our future from.

It took me a while to get the concept down. I was always living for the past. Never for the future, never looking ahead. Looking back at the mistakes I had made, the good and bad memories. I was looking so far in the past that I was letting the present pass right in front of me. It was hard learning to let go and focus on what needed to be done that rather what was done.

I would go day by day thinking about by past and how I could have changed it, made it better. Thinking about the ifs, what if I what if I said this or done this. I was always trying to fix the mistakes that I had made. Even though they weren’t of Importance anymore. Always having that thought of responsibility to fix what was wrong, always having to help anyone to forget what I didn’t do correctly. Slowly I grew out of that.

I opened my eyes, with a little help though. It showed that I do need help. A friend of my mom’s, son was in jail, while he is jail his she passed. He missed her services because of the dumb choices he had made. He was released on the same day as her services, but at that time, it was too late because she was already gone. There was nothing that he could do, he couldn’t make up for what he had done. It took death to open my eyes, I know she wasn’t my mom but I ask what if. I was living for the past not the future. Now I live for the day, because you don’t know if you are going to wake up the next morning. You don’t know if god is going to bless you.

I didn’t want my-self or anyone that I know of love, to go and one of us to have a bad memory with one another, so I do what I can and enjoy the moment with them. Past is past, it stays there. So if you live in the past you should open your eyes and enjoy and life for the present.