Michael - Oakwood, Georgia
Themes: tolerance

What is cool? What makes one person “cooler” than the next? The world we live in today is so consumed with the way someone looks. If I don’t have the right clothes, drive the right kind of car, or talk the right way, I’m not cool.

I believe in the individual. Being different is a lost cause these days. I work at a super market in Georgia, and I meet all kinds of people that work there. I look at these people, especially the younger generation, and think of what kind of image they are trying to portray. I believe everyone should be their own. These people make think of how superficial the world really is.

One day I was stocking some saltine crackers and bumped into “the guy.” And you know what kind of guy I’m talking about, he is the creepy guy at work that acts different from everyone else. Nobody likes this guy, because he’s not like the other workers. Well, I’m the type of person that gives everyone a chance. So when he muttered “excuse me,” and tried to scamper off, I stop him by saying “ what’s up buddy?” This shocked him, and was timid about starting a conversation. After I pried some sentences out of him, I realized that he was one of the coolest people to talk to. I know it was probably a ludicrous idea by the other workers, but this guy actually had a personality.

I thought it was funny how just a simple “what’s up?” can change your whole outlook on a person. Just because a person didn’t dress like the norm and he distanced himself from other people, made him an outcast. People labeled him because he was a different individual. I believe in the individual.