MacLaren - Henderson, Nevada

I believe certain things. Why? Because by the time you hear this I will have lived over 64 years. Anyone having lived more than 64 years knows stuff. About living, people, things, and mistakes.

For example:

I believe an awful lot of people are full of what Garrison Keillor calls “balloon juice.”

I believe the prolific filmmaker, writer, actor, and director Allen Stewart Konigsberg (Woody Allen) was right when he said something like “half of anything is just showing up.”

I believe when people say “that’s progress,” they’re either feathering their own nest at another’s expense, or they just don’t care about what’s happening.

I believe that computers, like religion, although essential, are a mixed blessing, and when all is said and done, they will accomplished about as much harm as good.

I believe that the zillions of dollars spent on the “space program” instead of on managing earthly problems is a whole bunch of dumb.

I believe in today’s world there is no excuse anymore for war or hunger.

I believe as people get older, women become … difficult.

I believe as people get older, men just …. give up.

I believe to intentionally rear children without both loving and caring parents is a disaster.

I believe the great historian Barbara Tuchman was right when she wrote “human behavior is timeless,” and she wasn’t referring to our better nature, either.

I believe W. Somerset Maugham was right when he wrote that the meaning of life has to be discovered for yourself.

I believe people think too much of themselves, and that there are too many of us.

I believe we’ve made a great, terrible mistake in how we’ve treated nature and animals.

I believe most prostitutes were once cute little girls who had unspeakable bad things done to them.

I believe cars, especially well-made ones, are fun to drive.

I believe babies need a quiet, undisturbed, peaceful home life.

I believe people are making too much noise.

I believe sunbathing naked is fun and healthy.

I believe women are emotionally stronger than men.

I believe God made men physically stronger than women for a reason.

I believe God put pain in us for a reason.

I believe John Steinbeck was right when he wrote “If I wanted to destroy a nation, I would give it too much and I would have it on its knees, miserable, greedy, and sick.”

I believe for the most part what goes around comes around, however in ways we seldom foresee.

I believe the key to a successful marriage is anybody’s guess, although selfishness is surely its biggest enemy.

I believe conflict to people is effortless whereas harmony is a struggle.

I believe the root of all evil is, in this order, greed, selfishness, and indifference.

I believe people resent the truth.

I believe if you truly love someone who ultimately betrays you, you will feel pain but not anger.

I believe it is important to fantasize at any age.

I believe children are not little adults, that adults are grown-up children.

Finally, I believe growing old is cruel.