Jamie - Souderton, Pennsylvania
Themes: family, legacy

This is what I believe:

“This too shall pass”, these to me are some of most honest words that someone can speak. It is a belief that my Mammie (grandmother) has told me time and time. No matter what kind of day i had whether good or bad. A grandmothers words are always the most honest. She is there to help and understand even without words. I can remember falling asleep on her lap as a young girl and as a young lady. Growing up was difficult and still is like many know. I still get upset about a lot of my past. As I got upset Mammie was there for me, “Jamie Virginia, this too shall pass!” With a smile on her face she would put one on mine. I can still picture her face, I now remeber a bit of an unsureness behind that smile. Her sacred heart was sometime hurt and I am only now remembering and understanding. I can remember when she and my grandfather (we call him ‘him’ now) were getting a divorse. What a terrible time, as many people have gone through it. That was a time of forgetting but now to hard to forget.

Mammie talk about ‘him’ sometimes only to be glad to forget about him. (I think a much better life has been lived without him)

Slowly I am finding myself on a diffrent side of the spectrium. My Mammie is going on 80 and its something that can take its sweet time passing…She is such a loving and understanding lady but she doesn’t understand herself. A few years ago she starting to show her age. Ones memory is the most difficult thing to lose. She is now falling into the dementia, catigory. It is something that is very difficult for me as her granddaughter to deal with. Atleast the things she does remember are funny and make her smile. By the end of the day when I am spending time with her she is usually quite upset. Not being able to remember what she had to eat, if she ate, where she went, if she went anywhere or even is someone stopped bye. I believe that I can help her and make her as happy as shes made me. I have found that the longer I stay with her the easier she remembers what is going on. However sometime I question myself. The only thing I can do is reminder her that I love her and “this too shall pass”. Then I can see my Mammie how I remember her.