Avery - Hebron, Ohio

Newt Gingrich once said “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” There is a certain feeling people get when they accomplish something they feel was unattainable. Many times in people’s lives, goals are set that they, and only they, believe can be obtained. People are not always going to have someone there to push them to achieve a particular goal. There will always be times when people will tell you that you cannot reach your goal and it is not worth the time. It is through inner strength and a strong belief in one’s self to get up and not accept failure when you are knocked down by disbelievers.

In my life, mental toughness is required while playing basketball and attempting to learn a second language. Staying after practice everyday to work out does not only make me a better basketball player, it prepares me for any obstacle life throws at me. Doing more than what is expected builds character and provides a solid foundation for success in whatever a person does in his or her life. No matter what a person’s goal may be, he or she will have to come upon an obstacle and make a decision on whether their goal is worth the struggle.

I am striving to become a high school Spanish teacher and a good basketball player. I am aware that playing on Ohio State Newark’s men’s basketball team will not get me to the NBA. However, my love for the game and the emotions that go through my head while I run down the court or shoot the ball allow me to feel blessed and gives me a sense of accomplishment.

People overcome adversity everyday and it is through them that gives everyone else hope to succeed. For example, the best basketball player who ever lived, Michael Jordan, got cut from his high school basketball team his junior year. Thomas Edison tried almost 10,000 times before he created the electric light. If he had given up, you would be reading this essay in the dark. R.H. Macy failed seven times before his store in New York caught on which is now the famous Macy’s. Babe Ruth struck out 1,330 times, but he also hit 714 home runs. Don’t worry about failure, but worry about the chances you miss when you do not even try.

Everyone has stood alone at one time in his or her life when it feels like no one supports or believes in them. If a person does not have to go through a struggle or overcome adversity, then the goal is not worth the time you put into it. Like Woody Hayes used to say, “Anything easy, ain’t worth a damn.”