sue - newark, Ohio

“Always be kind to people.” My mother said that if she had to sum up the most important things in life she would say that being kind to people and each other is the most important lesson of all. She always said that you should always be nice to people no matter what. I thought about why she said this as I got older and asked her why. She said that she had lost a close friend to cancer and her last words to her young children were, “Always be kind to people”. My mother said that if everyone was kind to one another then everyone would be better off. Now that I am older I can see what she means. The world would be a better place if everyone was kind to one another.

Being nice to people is not always the easiest thing to do. In the midst of the frustrations and stresses of daily life being kind is usually the last thing on my mind. While always being kind to people is difficult, I believe that it is the key to happiness. When I pass by someone in the street and make eye contact, I try my hardest to squeeze out a smile. Even if in that very moment I don’t feel like smiling, (and I’d rather growl) I think to myself that if I smile it might make a person want to smile back. If that person smiles back or even say ”hi” it would make me feel a little better about my day.

Taking my mothers advice and always trying to be kind to people no matter what has changed my life. When I am nice to people most of the time they are nice back. This has affected my life by making me a more approachable person. I feel better about myself when I can say that I was nice to someone when I was having a bad day and it made me feel better. Not only does it make me feel better, but I know it affects a person when he or she is having a bad day and a gesture of kindness is given to him or her. By being kind you are not losing anything, but you are gaining a lot.

When I have children, I will pass on the words of advice from my mother, and I hope they pass it on to their children and so on. Through my mother’s wisdom and experience, I learned a valuable lesson that will stick with me forever. If I tell my family and they tell the people closest to them maybe in the long run I will have changed lives many years from now and the world will be a better place. My mother was right, you should always be kind to people no matter what.

You can change lives, attitudes, or just change someone’s mood. Kindness is a very important lesson to learn. This I believe.