Caitlyn - Wilsonville, Oregon

I believe that you should be nice to your siblings; they’re your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

I have one older brother and we are 17 ½ months apart in age. When my brother and I were toddlers, I believe we got along great. We kept each other company everywhere we went, whether we were at school, at daycare or at home. We taught teach other new things daily, like how to build Lego structures or how to blow bubbles in our milk glasses. We made each other smile and laugh and in a “toddler sort of way,” we protected each other. My brother even went as far as to interpret what I was saying because my parents couldn’t understand me.

As we grew up from the time I was age 5 to age 12, I believe that we grew further apart. Even though we were close in age, we didn’t like to play with each other anymore and to be honest; I don’t think we even really liked to be around each other. The good old times of being best buddies had ceased and we just sort of ignored each other. We spent a lot of time fighting and bickering over the simple things, such as who got the front seat in the car or what television show we were going to watch. I always thought I was right and he always thought he was right. We could never come to any agreements so therefore, we had to sort of go our separate ways and just see each other as a mere existing human being.

As we both grew into adolescents and went through that dreaded period of puberty, our fighting and bickering elevated and reached an all time high. During the ages of 13 to 15, our house was not an enjoyable place to be. The yelling, screaming and usage of high pitched voices were loud, rude and just not pleasing.

Over time, changes began occurring. As I approached the age of 16, things had come full circle and the changes in our relationship were very evident. My brother and I had become best friends in life and there was no changing that. We told each other everything, we protected each others butts during all times, we helped each other with life lessons and school lessons and we hung out together all the time.

As I approach age 18 and him just turning 19, nothing has changed. My brother and I are still each other’s best friends; ask him who his best friend is, he’ll reply with the name of Caitlyn. Ask me who my best friend is, I’ll reply with the name of Kyle.

I believe that siblings are the best link to your past because they know all your secrets. It’s true in my case and I believe it’s true in a lot of sibling relationships. Your siblings know everything about you, the little details to the big picture. They are the ones who have known you the longest and know you the most in depth. Even if you are not the best of friends and heck, maybe you don’t live near each other or speak on a regular basis, I still believe they are the best link to your past. I believe your siblings are the people that have been in your life the longest and they are the people that will continue to be in your life for as long as you live. Since your siblings have been in your life since the day you were born, I believe that they should, and will, be in your life until the day you die. My brother and I have made it through our rocky childhood and we made our relationship work. Because of that, I believe that you should be nice to your siblings; they’re your best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.