Liz - Whitestone, New York

I believe God made all people beautiful. I didn’t always believe that, though. Although I always heard the cliched, “everybody’s special”, I just didn’t buy it. Some people were so pretty and nice, and others just weren’t. How was it fair? Once I asked my grandmother, “Grandma, how is it fair that some girls are so beautiful and some aren’t? Why would God do that?” I don’t know what kind of answer I was expecting, but it wasn’t the one she told me. She laughed and replied, “Sweetie, God was extremely fair. He made all girls beautiful. Some girls have great faces or figures. Some have beautiful hair or exquisite eyes. Some girls tell great stories, some are really outgoing, and some are empathetic listeners. Some girls are excellent at sports, and some are incredibly intelligent. Beauty can be found in the strangest places. All girls are beautiful.” When she told me this, I was too young to understand the meaning behind her words. However, as time went on, things became clearer. Somewhere along the line I realized the truth in her speech. If you look around at all your friends, you will realize that each one possesses a special talent or skill that is unique and beautiful. Sometimes, it takes awhile to realize the beautiful qualities that people have. For example, that quiet, plain looking girl in homeroom who has never said more than two words to you in her life. She might be the best listener there ever was, or give great advice. Or that girl in your gym class who can’t dribble for anything, but always has a joke to crack and a smile to offer. Just the ability to laugh at yourself and carry a sense of humor is a powerful tool and a beautiful trait. Often we fail to see the beauty in people we dislike, refusing to acknowledge that they, too, have God-given talents and beauty. Acknowledging this and seeing the beauty in others even helped us become a better people. As we started accepting this, we start realizing the beauty in ourselves as well. Eventually, there will come a time when we will look around any room that we are in and find a unique, beautiful quality in everyone we see before us.