Laura - Centennial, Colorado

I believe in love, family, and friendship. I believe that kindness makes the world go ‘round and that forgiveness is a must. I believe you must work hard in order to achieve success, but most of all, I believe that life is a gift. It is not meant to be wasted, and everyone should live life to the fullest.

Most people value their lives, but they don’t get a chance to truly live them. They are much too worried about small technicalities that won’t matter later on, and they don’t really ever get a chance to sit back and enjoy the wonderful things in life.

It is from my own experience that I have come to realize that life isn’t worth living if you don’t take chances. When I was younger I used to always be nervous about everything I did. I would be scared about making mistakes and being ridiculed by my peers. I was a very shy, introverted youngster. My days consisted of playing, as every child does, but for me, it was not with others. However, one day, as I was researching a school paper, I came upon a piece of literature saying, “An inexperienced life is not worth living.” From that moment on, I began to look at my life completely different.

At first, no big changes occurred in my life. I kept being the same skeptical girl as always, but the quote haunted my mind day and night. I had many ambitions, dreams, goals, and how I saw it, if I was scared of trying new things, how would I ever be able to truly be happy with myself? However, I was still scared of putting myself on the line. I was fearful of taking a chance because I knew there was always the possibility that I might fail. I knew what I wanted to do, but it was difficult making it happen. Finally, one day I decided to just let go. I wouldn’t be content knowing that I never experienced anything for myself. Knowing that there was a whole world out there waiting to be discovered, and all I did was stay in the same lull my entire life. So with everything I had in me, I took a risk, knowing that I had at least tried to change the way I lived my life.

I see life as an individual journey for everyone. We all choose which road to take, whether right or left, wrong or right by the decisions we make. But sometimes, the simplest decisions out there can be the hardest ones for us to make. We get so caught up in what others expect of us, or what is to become of our future, that we don’t take the time to do things for ourselves. We’re so scared to go wrong that we don’t take even the smallest chances, even when we most should. Life is a gift, and it’s one that you only receive once, so why waste it?