Rosemary - Washington, District of Columbia
Themes: peace

How I Can Change the World

October 2006

Maybe when I grow up I will become a writer, possibly an astronaut. But there is one thing that I will be no matter what I do for work. I will always be a peacemaker. This is how I will change the world. This I believe.

One problem in the world is too much violence. I probably won’t stop it, but I could be like Mother Teresa and help people, one by one. She said, “I don’t do great things. I do small things with great love.” In my opinion there is a lot of truth in these words. For example, if you were to heal and care for people like Mother Teresa, but do it without love, it wouldn’t be the same.

One quality I have is empathy. I think that if everyone could learn to walk in someone else’s shoes, some violence would cease. Without violence, anger and fear, we would truly have world peace.

Solving problems can mean many things. It means talking to your friends, yes, but it really means talking to your enemies. Jimmy Carter even stopped a war by talking peacefully.

Pretend that you had a fight with someone, anyone. When you apologize, and hopefully you will, really mean it. If you still feel anger in the air, maybe you should try apologizing again.

So, if you want to change the world, be a peacemaker. I am one. When I talk to my enemies, I’ll listen and feel empathy. I’ll try to really listen.

So that is how I will change the world. Listen to John Lennon and “Give peace a chance”! This I believe.