Mitchell - Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I believe that nothing is impossible

Impossible is just as small word thrown around by big people. Impossible is a word of weakness. Anyone that uses the word impossible is insecure in life and will not get anywhere. I used to think that there were impossibilities in life. In 2000 the Florida Marlins battled the New York Yankees in the World Series. The odds of the Marlins winning were 25 to 1. The Bronx Bombers had a payroll nearly 4 times that of the Marlins. Like many I doubted the Marlins. This became a David and Goliath story when the Marlins emerged victorious. The Marlins worked together to play “small ball” and win the title. While no one on their team would be staring in Nike commercials for a few years they were able to use the bunt a simple maneuver to win their games. Impossible from that day on was removed from my vocabulary. Impossible is what weak men say when they have no hope left. However, when down in one of my high school baseball games I believe in my team because we are a team and for us impossible is not possible.

When talking about life and society impossible is also a dirty word. Abraham Lincoln and Gerald Ford came from dirt poor families but still ruled one of the most powerful countries in the world is this impossible, I do not think so because it happened. The terror of September 11th 2001 seemed impossible on September 10th and even 6 o’clock in the morning of September 11th and someone that would say that America was going to be attacked would be called crazy. America was warned by over 6 nations about a possible attack and simply ignored it thinking it was impossible. At 10 in the morning America was shocked. They were attacked and it was not impossible. Throwing away the word impossible at nearly every situation simply degrades the word, because some of the minutest things in life are said to be impossible. People around the world are starting to discover something that I discovered after the Florida Marlins came away with a miraculous victory in the 2000 World Series which is that nothing is impossible. I have learned that anything I set my mind to I can accomplish weather it is something as simple as acing a test or as difficult as beating the number 4 high school baseball team in the country when I try my best I succeed weather it is on paper or in my mind. Impossible is a small word that big men like to throw around just for the fun of it, but impossible is really a weak, small word that shows nothing more than a lack of confidence and self security.