Kaley - centennial, Colorado

Aldous Huxley once said, “That which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.” Music is extremely important to me. Why do I love it? Music is the best form of self expression.

Music describes my mood, describes my feelings better than I can. It helps me remember places, people, and moments. It’s like a best friend that comes and sparks up my memory every once in a while. I love music because it is one of the few things we can choose and not be criticized on because it’s purely opinionated. Music creates a feeling inside of me that is like everything’s fine and when it plays, it gently sings and rocks all of my fears and worries out of my head. There has never been a moment when music hasn’t whispered its soft words and I haven’t felt comfort or tranquility.

Every year when Christmas time rolls around I get so excited for all of the traditions it brings. There was one year though I remember I was not excited for Christmas for some reason. I wanted to be excited but I couldn’t rev up the energy to be enthusiastic. The only thing that got me in the spirit for Christmas was… MUSIC! I listened to some great Christmas tunes to get me holly jolly and in the Christmas spirit! Other times I am sad about something and I hear a song that is perfect for my mood and I listen to the song over and over until I’m not sad anymore. Music understands me in a way no one else can. I don’t think that music is a materialistic object, but it’s a value. It’s a friend. Music itself is comforting to anything and I constantly have it on. Many people don’t take the time to appreciate music, which I think is a loss for them.

There seems to be a song to go with every mood I could possibly be in. Music heals and is just there with me, not to give advice or to tell me I messed up, just to listen to me. Music expresses me better than anything else; and this I believe.