Rolando - north bergen, New Jersey
Themes: children

When I look at my son playing with his Spiderman toy, I see innocence and sweetness and at the same time I experience a sense of sadness because moments like this will not last forever and fade so quickly like a camera flash in a dark night. As children grow, sweetness and innocence is lost and it is replaced by coldness and skepticism. Sometimes I wish my son would remain with his Spiderman friend and not face the reality of our world. Every year I get more depressed watching hopelessly how our planet slowly dies by the wrong headed decisions of men. Man has created a laundry list of problems such as global warming, hunger, poverty, cancer, Aids, terrorism and countless others without any possible solutions in sight. Our leaders run away from these problems. Governments do so little and spend more time talking about irrelevant matters. So where do we find the solutions that affect our planet and the survival of the human race?

I believe the answer lies with you, the young generation. The time has come for you to say enough is enough. Your contribution to society is more vital today than ever before. We need future teachers, doctors, lawyers, and politicians who have a conscience and will make a difference. We need you because our current leaders are not taking us anywhere. They are more concerned with their own interests and not the best interests of our world. We need people with conscience because at the moment our leaders lack one. It is amazing that with all the advances in science and technology we still have not developed a technology to cure poverty, hunger, homelessness, as well as more schools to educate children around the world who don’t go to one.

It is not acceptable anymore for children in some countries to work and not go to school in order to put food on their parents’ table, it is not acceptable for people not to have a decent health insurance to get appropriate medical care, it is not acceptable to continue paying high gasoline prices and not find alternatives to fuel energy to drive our cars, it is not acceptable to see the temperature rise because of climactic changes created by man and pretend that this will not affect the melting of icebergs in the North Pole, it is not acceptable to have one billion hungry children in our planet, finally, it is not acceptable to complain and not do anything about our world problems without finding any solutions. We need new ideas and a new purpose. You, the young generation, can lead us there. You will be our brighter tomorrow giving us hope for a better planet as someone famously said,” Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible.”