Chelsea - Wixom, Michigan

“You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” That’s what my Grandma always says to me. As odd of a phrase it is, it has a great meaning. To me, it is a constant reminder to be nice to the meanest girl in school. To me, it means befriending the lonely and the picked on. To me, it means that I occasionally have to watch my tongue. To me, it also means that I occasionally have to step out of my comfort zone every once in awhile. Though, in reality, it could also mean exactly what it says. If you’re into catching flies, that is.

“You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” Sometimes that means I also have to hide my emotions even when I feel like I’m about to explode because my brother won’t stop poking me. Whether it means walking away, attempting to politely ask him to stop, or the not-so-occasional call to my mom, I remember that phrase and move on with my day.

“You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” Sure, it doesn’t sound that deep, but if I ever take up fly catching, I’ve got a pretty good start. Until then, I think I’m going to stick with the deeper meaning. “You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” This I believe.