Rachel - Fruita, Colorado

I believe in respecting others. It doesn’t matter whether you’re in a small town or New York City, people are disrespectful towards others and act like they don’t care about the people around them. Just about everywhere you go there is someone that is trying to get in line first, or cut in front of others in traffic. It’s become that whatever you do or wherever you go there’s always people that are rude, and a lot of times it’s over a minor issue.

My brother has been thinking about buying a Playstation 3 upon its release date so he can sell it later on and make a profit. It’s become such a dangerous process though—several people get trampled on and hurt just so they can save a few hundred dollars. Some buyers wait up 36 hours waiting in line while others hire multiple people to take shifts waiting in line for them. There have been several stories about people at these kinds of events that have wet themselves in order to keep their spot in line. The closer it becomes to when the store doors open, the ruder and more disrespectful the people get. They act like they don’t care about about anyone else, just as long as they get a good deal on an item.

A few years ago my brother did the same sort of thing for the release of the xBox. RIght before the store started selling the xBoxes, an employee came out to announce something to the crowd. He said that all the xBoxes were in the back of the store and that everyone would have to race in order to get to them. Several people were hurt and stepped in the process because no one took the time to be considerate to others; instead they wanted material items.

This reminds me of something that happened not too long ago, except for a bit more extreme. In August 2005, there was a violent stampede for a $50 used Apple iBook sale. A few people were thrown down on the pavement and beaten with folding chairs then nearly ran over by irate people in their vehicles. One women was knocked down along with the stroller that she was pushing with her child inside.

It’s incredible the measures that people will take in order to please themselves. However, they end up harming others in the process because they only care about themselves. I believe that life is too short to ignore one another and that we should always try to put others ahead of ourselves. I also believe that we should respect others with just as much respect that we want back.