Elliott - Annandale, Virginia

Amen to Penn Jillette. I border on either an agnostic or atheist myself, not that it matters. At any rate…

I have no problem with the IDEA of a “God.” A “God” that helps those who are lost in their lives and need something to get them through tough times. Better than drugs right? Don’t answer that. We invented our GodS to deal with many issues… keeping people from being 100% hedonistic to the detriment of society etc. But the MAIN issue that everyone’s version of “God” deals with is our inability to comprehend mortality. “We can’t just DISAPPEAR!” I hear people say frequently. As a friend of mine retorts, “remember before you were born? That’s what death is like.” And the other popular “argument” for the existence of a “God” or “Gods” is the idiotic practice of referencing something beautiful (e.g., a baby, nature) and saying THAT is proof of a God. Absurd. Again… people don’t have the mental capacity to understand complex science, evolution etc, and chalk it up to a convenient catch-all… aka, “God.”

“God,” as we’ve all heard ad infinitum, is/has been indirectly responsible for how many hundreds of thousands (millions?) deaths/murders/lynchings etc. THIS is why I cannot stomach religion/”God.” Mind-boggling hypocrisy. The phrase “in the name of God” is some ultimate justification for every grotesque act. If there was/is a “God,” I’m pretty sure that any and ALL violence against another person OR animal would be a “bad” thing in his/her/it’s book. And of course greed would be on their list too… I wish I had a dollar for every time I saw a church parking lot full of obscenely expensive and self-aggrandizing vehicles. What’s the line? Something to the effect of, “do not collect one’s treasures on Earth.” If you’re going to claim to be a “follower,” then READ the damn thing morons.

And one last thought… Can EVERYONE just agree to disagree at this point? Don’t knock on my door attempting to “save” ME, and I won’t knock on YOURS attempting to convince YOU that I’M right. This obtrusive, self-righteous, opinionated behavior all flying under the flag of altruism and “good” simply makes me ill. It’s spiritual imperialism… I’ll assume everyone’s familiar with that word after the last few years of Bush: The Revenge. I love HIM btw… he and his ilk are the “spiritual” or “Christian” party. A guy that set the RECORD for executions in Texas, has killed over 100,000 Iraqis by ANY account, and nearly 3,000 U.S. troops. ALL for greed and to STEAL another country’s natural resource. But he’s against abortion/killing babies, so he’s a “Christian.” Stop it, you’re killing me! OH, and don’t forget that he and his party are the “boot straps” party… with absolutely no empathy or compassion for the have nots of our society. But he’s a “good Christian.” HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Re-read the commandments bit if you’ve got a moment… or the blessed are the meek part. Or has our little fascist omitted that from OUR versions of the Bible?

Look, I personally thought that “Titanic” and “Forrest Gump” were absolute pieces of garbage, I think rap/hip-hop are musical examples of the “Emperor’s New Clothes” cliche, and I think SUV owners should be hung, but do I come to YOUR house to convince YOU otherwise? Live YOUR life, and I’LL live MINE.