Megan - Hickory Hills, Illinois
Themes: equality

Everyone says that first impressions last a lifetime. However, I don’t believe that at all. Things happen and people change and there are many different factors in life that I think should allow everyone a second chance. A second chance for you not to judged by your appearance, that is. I hate how whenever we, as a whole, see someone we automatically starting thinking something about them. Sometimes good and sometimes bad. It’s either; wow, she’s pretty, or he’s fat. Or, they are weird, or she is ugly. Everyone should be given an equal chance for someone to get to know them before they are judged. For example, if you have pink hair and like to wear black, someone is right away going to think something of you. The same thing if you wore Abercrombie everyday and had bleached blonde hair. Why? I don’t quite understand it. This also goes along with different things, not just clothing. For instance, if you drove a nice car or your parents have a lot of money, people are going to think differently then if you had an old car or didn’t have any money. More often then others, people with nice things often think they are better then the others who don’t. Why? Judging is probably one of the worst epidemics in this world and one of the hardest to get away from. Everyone does it, but if everyone stopped, everything would be much better. Just think, if no one cared about what kind of house you had, what kind of car you drove, what kind of clothes you have, or who you hung out with, then everyone would get along. That would also eliminate bulling, which is one of the biggest problems in schools today. But impressions also go along with this. Whenever you walk into a job interview or walk into a store or go to visit family you haven’t seen in awhile, you are most likely being judged by what you’re wearing or how you look. Which isn’t fair? Sometimes, based on appearance, that is a big factor on whether or not you’re going to get hired for that job and how people are going to treat you. Everyone should get a chance to explain themselves and let people get to know little about them before they are judged. Because believe it or not, by allowing yourself to get to know someone before you judge them, you might meet someone who becomes very important in your life. So, this I believe is allowing yourself to get to know someone, before you judge them by their appearance.