rebecca - elgin, Illinois
Themes: equality

After all the scolding, being silenced, and tolerating the typical “it’s because he’s a boy” phrases, I, among other women, should speak out against double standards.

When arguing with my father, I asked, “What happened to equality of the sexes?” He responded with “If you women want so badly to be equal, then you should have to join the draft too,” an average response from my close-minded, sexist father. The stereotype of women is that they’re fragile, easy targets that are dependent on men. I can’t count on my two hands how many sexist jokes or comments I have heard in the past week about women cooking or cleaning. However, the world is changing to a woman’s world of more equal opportunities.

For every young girl out there with a brother, they know exactly what this is talking about. Your brother has a girlfriend before he outgrows the cooties phase in life; however girls are sometimes threatened with a policy of “no boys until you’re married.” Well that’s a ridiculous statement. Would you like to arrange my marriage? Not to mention how most guys are allowed to have girls in their rooms, doors closed and all. I don’t know about other girls, but when a boy crosses the line dividing my room and the hallway, sirens and red lights go off. Girls aren’t compared to their past experiences or what they’re capable of, they are compared to men.

From my own personal experience, my brother was sent off driving in a beat down car, running on fumes, after the transmission had dropped. When the time came for me to drive that car three blocks away, they simply wouldn’t have that. I couldn’t even walk down the street, I had to be driven. Sounds ridiculous? Not to my parents, or most other parents. It seems girls are never just thrown out there to fend for themselves. They’re kept in a protective bubble, only because if men were protected in a bubble, they would pull out some ridiculous pocket knife to carve obscene shapes into the bubble until they escaped; and girls are the ones that are under parental vision all the time?

Here is my predicament. Double standards completely deduct from the whole image of equal opportunities for women. After everything women have worked for the reach “equality,” have they achieved it? Women should be given more chances and opportunities instead of being compared to how a man would handle a situation.