Kirk - chico, California

Laughter is at the center of my being and makes up a large part of who I am today. When I came out of my mother’s womb and into the World I had a huge smile on my face that eventually exploded creating what we call laughter. I believe this is where laughter starts. For some it may not happen right away, but with time, every baby has a smile on him or her just waiting to become laughter.

I grew up in a loving home with Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa. There was never a shortage of laughter and warmth no matter what life brought. I remember sitting with my grandfather and laughing at his jokes as I ate my cereal. When I was sad, a little laughter created by another one of my grandfather’s jokes always seemed to do the trick in making me feel better.

I believe that when laughter is forgotten, we have lost who we really are—the child inside that once smiled long ago. I believe that when babies smile and laugh, it is because of something inside them that they are born with, something that cannot be taught. I believe that laughter is a gift; a gift given to everyone and for a special reason and purpose. Life is filled with trails and misfortunes that bring us all down. It is this gift that helps us to stand up when we fall down and to push on towards the goal.

I believe that laughter is what brings families and friends together, and the lack of it is what tears them apart. I believe that laughter is an instant medicine to the wounded soul and a necessity for life and all its troubles. I need laughter to lighten the mood on a rainy day when the skies are grey. I need it when I get an ‘F’ on that test I studied for so hard. I need it when I can not go to that movie that I have been waiting for all year because I am sick in bed with a fever. I need it when a loved one dies and I can not seem to go on.

I believe that laughter is not something we choose to have, but something that we have in us that is to be used. I have found that in my own life that if it is not used, it tends to find a deep and dark place to hide and will eventually dry up. When this happens it sometimes takes a while to find it and bring it back to life. I try not to go to sleep with sadness or fear, because come morning, it is still there just waiting to ruin another day. Abraham Lincoln puts it like this, “With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die.”

I am thankful for laughter…even when milk comes out of my nose! When something goes wrong and I do something foolish, I laugh at myself before anyone else has the chance to. I believe that we need to feed our souls and go back to the roots of our childhood. Be careful of a person who hates the laugh of a child because I believe that he has forgotten that the very thing that makes the child laugh is buried deep and dried up within his own soul. When laughter is forgotten, I believe that I have wasted a day that I can never get back. I believe that I need to live life to the fullest and grab each opportunity that come my way. I should not let sadness and fear run my life but instead push it out of the way with a good laugh.