Jana - Rigby, Idaho

I’m just a poor, little, shy country girl from Rigby Idaho. I never really had a true friend until I gained the courage to switch schools my junior year in High School. I was always left out at Rigby. I never had anyone to hang out with, I was a tag- along, and I felt left out and alone. I didn’t really have a group of friends to hang out with, yes, everyone seemed to be my friend, but no one was always there for me. My favorite year at Rigby was when I was able to hang out with my older brother, but he would easily get annoyed of me hanging around.

After taking some art workshops with my dad, I decided to switch schools so I’d be able to get into a better art program. Switching schools was terrifying at first, which I’m sure switching schools at first is scary for everyone who’s not used to it. My dad was the art teacher at Bonneville, so I had him, but that wasn’t enough. I’d wander around, I really was lost and lonely but random people would say hi, and introduce themselves to me, but no one invited me to join their group.

There is nothing that has helped me more in life then my wonderful friends. I believe in true friends. My friends at Bonneville taught me friendship; they have always been there for me and still are. At Bonneville, I was actually invited to parties instead of getting stuck at home with my family. I always had someone to talk to and they didn’t seem annoyed when I called them, just to talk. My best friend Cara is amazing; she’s kept me on the right track in life and helped me overcome obstacles throughout the years.

That’s when I met Cara; she was like me, alone. I first met Cara in my Physical Education class. We would run laps together. I would talk to her as we ran then after class we’d go our own ways. I started to eat lunch with Cara where we would talk and everyone sitting around us would ignore us, just like me at Rigby, but now I had somebody with me. A guy I had dated invited me to eat lunch with him so I did, I started eating at their table and after a while I invited Cara to join.

Cara and I’ve been inseparable ever since. We’ve had people ask us if we’re twins, sisters, or cousins. When Cara and I were getting ready for a dance once at my house my dad told us we looked a lot alike and asked what Cara’s last name was. She told him and he proceeded to look up her last name in our family book. My dad then found out that Cara’s grandpa is my grandma’s cousin therefore making us third cousins. Good friends can make a world of difference.

Heather Cortez said:” To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.” Cara is the world to me; she has by far made the biggest impact on me than any one else. She’s always been there to talk, have fun, and just to make me smile. To the world Cara is viewed as a shy city girl from Idaho Falls, but to me I see her as the world, someone who has changed my life and is always there for me.

Everyone needs a true friend, some one to talk to, hang out with, and just to be foolish with. I believe that true friendship is the best start to a good life. I know that true friends are always there for me, even when they don’t agree with what I’m doing. They will tell me they disagree, but are always there to catch me when I fall. A friendship has its ups and downs, but a whole lot more ups than downs.