Rachel - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: love

Every girl, from the day she is old enough to play dress-up, dreams of having a handsome prince come rescue her from the dragon and then live happily ever after. In an ideal world, this little girl has a mommy and a daddy who love her. A mommy and daddy who love her so much that they would not even consider divorce as an option. In an ideal world, this little girl has siblings who fight with her, but love her just as much as they love arguing. In an ideal world, this little girl would cruise through her teen years not even considering drugs, alcohol, or premarital sex. In an ideal world, this little girl would go to college, meet a wonderful guy, her prince charming, fall madly in love and get married. In an ideal world, this little girl, who’s not so little anymore, would let her love for her husband spill over and welcome a new life into the world without regrets.

In a world far from ideal we live in a culture where this kind of life is unheard of. We are a civilization torn by war, divorce, abortion, drugs, alcohol and violence. But most depressing of all, we are a culture almost void of true love. We look to sources such as blind date services; trying desperately to find our prince charming or our sleeping beauty. We are constantly trying to improve our appearances by this skin cream or that weight loss program. We watch the stars get married for two years and then divorce when they’ve “had enough.” It seems impossible that in this “self-obsessed” culture that true love would even be possible. I, however, know that it exists.

I see it every day in the actions of my parents when they see each other in the morning. In the tender smiles meant only for each other. I see it in the exhausted soldier who arrives at the air port, bearing the weight of the world. I see in his eyes, as his young wife runs to him, holding their new baby, despair replaced by undying love. I see it in the elderly couple who have survived who knows how many hardships. The husband still manages to hold his wife’s hand as they walk to the restaurant on a date; only letting go to open the door for her. I see it in the newly wed couple; when the husband puts his arm protectively around his wife’s shoulders as she kisses him shyly on the cheek. In all these things I see true love.

So I write this for all the young women who played dress-up as little girls. Don’t ever give up on finding your prince charming. I write this for all you young men in search of your sleeping beauty. Don’t ever give up. True love exists, and if you wait with a hopeful, pure and open heart it will find you. In this I believe.