Emma - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: love, parenthood

Every good parent wants their child to have a good life; they want to prepare them for a world in which success is almost mandatory for happiness. They will try to buy them good supplies for school, tools to make life easier, anything that will better the child’s future. But my mother, a great parent who did all of this, taught me the equally valuable, and less common way to prepare your child for a great future.

From the time I was a very small child, my mother would hug me everyday. She seemed to find it important to give me at least one hug everyday. As I grew older, I became the stereotypical, rebellious, seven year old, and I no longer wanted hugs from my mom. Because getting hugs would embarrass me in front of my 1st grade friends. My mom understood my discomfort, and decreased, but didn’t altogether stop, the number of hugs I would get. One night before I went to bed, my mom gave me a daily hug, and I asked her why. I asked her why she felt it was adamant to hug me every day. “A hug is a way of spreading love,” she replied, “they are meant to be given away. If I give you enough hugs, you can give them to people you love too. It helps spread love throughout the world.”

At the time she told me this, I had no idea what she meant and dismissed it. And now in my all knowing age of 14, I realize that though she prepared me for the world in a traditional way of buying me life simplifying items, she prepared me in another, equally valuable way as the latter. She gave me love through hugs; to give to other people I care about. To give others hugs that they return them or can pass on to ones they love. So even though buying your children things that help them succeed in life is a good parent’s way of preparing a child for a good life, preparing them to give love to others is the great parent’s way of preparing a child for a great life.