Jordan - Littleton, Colorado

By: Jordan Card

Something that I truly deeply believe in is that you have to look at your life in the BIG picture. This means that you should think about what you need to do to get to your desired future. I think I have believed in this for so many years, I just have never really described it in words.

So many people, especially during high school, go through listening to peer pressure, or following the latest trends. Just a couple of months ago, many of my friends got their ears double pierced on one side. When one of my friends asked me if I was going to get it done too, I simply replied, “No.” They would ask me why not, but at the time I really didn’t have a logical answer and about a week later I finally figured out why I didn’t want to get my ears double pierced. It was because I knew that when I was older, I wouldn’t want one of my ears to have an extra hole. Besides, I usually don’t wear earrings even right now when “fashion” and all of the trends are supposed to be my focus as a teenager, so why should I go through the trouble of getting it pierced anyways?

Another thing that showed me that I look towards the future was when I realized that I have always wanted to attend college, and I used to want to be a pediatrician. Right now, I am not sure what I do want to do with my life, but I know for a matter of fact that I am going to attend college; there is no question about it. Going to college is practically required these days to get a decent job. Even though I am not sure of what career I want to aspire towards, I do know that I want to attend a good college, and we all know that attending a good college means getting a pretty good grade average in high school. So instead of worrying about what party I am going to hit this weekend or even what I am going to wear the next day, I think about what I need to do to get myself ready to go to college and ultimately, prepare myself for life.

Because we all recognize the old saying, “Life is too quick,” I know that my life is going to really begin in less than four years when I head off to college. Although I may think four years is a long time right now and I have a lot to learn and experience before I get there, I know that it is going to come fast. So what I truly believe in and what keeps me driven through rough times, is that I know that I need to always plan ahead for the future and not so much worry about the small things. This I truly and deeply believe.