Arif - Seattle, Washington

This I believe:

We are all delivered to moments and times. From day to day, I am reminded that we are delivered to moments and time. This belief transcends faith, color, creed, sex, or anything else we use to identify ourselves. This process of being delivered is powerful and sometimes you won’t realize that you were delivered.

It was this time last year that I was delivered to a moment in time. I was adopted as a new born, and I had never really identified with my adopted parents. So when the day came for me to be delivered, mind you this is similar to a physical delivery that a new mother would have but in this moment it was when I connected with my adopted mother beyond biology, love, or relationship. I was delivered. It was Thanksgiving, and my dad called to tell me that mom was not doing so well; he suspected that she was not in good shape. My wife had made a simple Thanksgiving dinner for all of us, and I was not going to let my mom go to the hospital without sharing the holiday dinner together as a family.. I drove to my parent’s apartment and went upstairs and found my mother not herself. This is a woman that had sparred with me while I was growing up; she now was a shell of a woman. We got her dressed and I took her to the car. Most of the way, I carried her like you would carry a baby. I took her to our house and carried her in again. She was not doing so well but she ate (I feed her) and she was present with us all. At the end of the day I was advised by a friend that I should take her to the hospital. I did not want to but I did. I carried her again to the car and drove to the hospital.

Her kidneys had stopped and that is why she was weak. This was the last time she ever stepped foot in her apartment or my house. She was discharged from the hospital and sent to a nursing home to recover; she would never return. I was delivered to be there every night to feed her, say our prayers, and spar with her when she was up to it. I was delivered; my mother had given birth to me in that moment and time. In many ways it was the happiest moment of my life to be given a delivered life after 37 years of living without it. I did everything humanly possible to make her life complete.

She and I would have a lot to share and a lot of catching up to do. I had a life time of hugs to give her and to tell her I loved her like I had never expressed before in my life. I told her that no mater who my biological mother was she was my mom. I was a new born delivered to those moments and time.

She passed away July 13, 2006.

I have now been delivered to take my father to India and give him the opportunity to live on his own in Goa. As with everything, I now see myself being delivered to a moment and time to do what I can for those around me. We are all delivered to moments and time.