Katie - New Albany, Ohio

I am an addict. Being an addict does not always have to mean being addicted to drugs or alcohol or other things that may influence someone’s life negatively. I believe that is it okay to be addicted to something that has a positive influence on one’s life.

I am twenty-one years old and have been drag racing for sixteen years. I eat, sleep, and live drag racing. When I was just five years old my dad started taking me to some of the local drag races around town. I was addicted immediately. By the time I was fourteen I was driving a race car of my own, in the junior class the association offered. I did not think that I could like drag racing any more than I already did, but when I started driving a car of my own it was an incredible feeling. There was that certain rush, that rush of adrenaline. My heart raced, faster than my race car, my palms dripped with sweat, and nothing else was on my mind but winning that race. During the summer, all I wanted to do was go to the races, and during the winter months I counted down the days until the next race season began. When we were not racing it took everything I had to keep myself busy, so that in my mind, the winter would go by fast and I could be racing again. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about racing.

When I was still in junior high and, later in, high school my mom told me that my schooling came first and that if I wanted to keep racing I would have to keep my grades up to her standard. I worked extremely hard to make sure that my grades were up to par for my mom. Drag racing has not only helped me make sure that my grades were up but it has helped me make some important decisions in my life. It helped me to decide whether or not I was going to fall into the group of kids at school when they fell under the peer pressure that comes with everyday life in high school. Whether or not I was going to do drugs with the kids in school or spend my time getting ready for the next race. It also helped me to be a strong and determined person.

Being addicted to something is not always something that has to be looked down upon. An addiction is something that has affected someone’s life and it is my choice whether or not I want to make that a positive influence or a negative one. Drag racing is my positive influence. Drag racing is my addiction. It is something that I enjoy and look forward to doing all the time.