Darja - Waltham, Massachusetts

I Believe

Just recently, my mom was driving, I in the passenger’s seat, when she came to a stop and I closed my eyes. I was just resting, but what came to mind was quite startling. It was something I had never known I did before. In those moments, I was not following my mother’s actions as a driver, I was not watching the road, I was completely unoccupied.

Slowly, as my mom started to go again, I felt the car turning. This turn was familiar to me, but what if something unexpected had happened? What if there had been an accident, a car had driven right into ours? What would happen then? Who would be at blame?

I had handed my trust over to my mom. I trusted her driving and her making the right decisions on the road. These decisions would guarantee our safety as we drove from our house to the store.

It is comical to suppose one can monitor someone else’s every action. There has to be some trust involved. Just as I had trusted my mom that day in the car, I believe it is necessary to trust even complete strangers. For while you trust them with certain duties, they trust you.

When you are flying in a plane, you trust the pilot to see where he is going and to listen to the commands over his radio. Just the same, the pilot’s trust is placed in the passengers. He is depending on them to be patient and not be enraged psychopaths.

Trust is very important. It is a mutual bond between two or more people who give part of their self to another person, confident that person will not betray them. If you don’t have trust, what do you have? Ask any couple what the main thing they want for their relationship is and they’ll say trust. Without trust there is blame, and with blame there is anxiety and panic. Panic is the initiator of fear- fear of something going wrong, fear of the other person, and doubt of the other person’s ability.

Trust is also connected to responsibility. One person cannot handle all burdens. That would be futile. Instead, I believe that, using trust, the responsibility can be dispensed to another person. I suppose I was not doing right to my mom that day. I laid all my responsibility on her shoulders. I was too trusting. I should have watched the road, alerting my mother for any reckless drivers.

I believe in trust. I believe a person can’t handle all responsibility. Trust is brother to dependability, dependability enemy of doubt. Doubt will get you nowhere. Doubt will lead to friends becoming foes and strangers to become frightened of one another.

In a world where the people are overrun by fears of nuclear bombs and terrorists, everyone needs a person they can trust, be it with a secret fear or just the fact that there is someone in this world that loves you. Without trust, the panic circulating the people would be simply inconceivable.

My mom and I trust each other in the car. She is the driver, I am the navigator.