Melissa - Chesapeake, Virginia

When I graduated from high school I could only look ahead at what was to come: college. I had so many worries flailing around in my head that I thought that I would explode. The first few weeks of class proved to be surprisingly easy. I felt sure that I would achieve my goal of passing my classes. However, around the time of the dreaded midterms, my workload shifted drastically and I suddenly found myself with tons more work than I could handle. Plus, the constant pressure from my parents to do well only added to my frustration. With so much work and so little time, I was beginning to lose hope and confidence. I fell into a depression, which did very little to help my situation. Little did I know, the extra push I would need to accomplish my goals would come not from my friends or family, but from my boyfriend. It is because of him that I believe that a little caring goes a long way.

At the time, I was concerned with more than just how well I was doing in school. I had yet to choose a major or get a job, so I was feeling behind in life. My future was at stake and I was close to tears. As I sat alone at my laptop contemplating how I was going to complete all of my homework on time, there was a knock at my door. It was my boyfriend, but I was too bogged down with work to feel the usual excitement that came with his visits. He immediately picked up on the sad look in my eyes, but I told him I was ok and that I just had some work to finish. He shrugged and began reading a book he’d become absorbed in. I tried my hardest to get back to work, but I couldn’t concentrate.

Suddenly, he was standing beside me. He snapped my laptop closed and asked me what was wrong. I was so distressed from the lack of support I had gotten from everyone else that it had become difficult for me to voice what was going on in my mind, but he was patient. He lovingly wrapped his arms around me and provided a comfortable silence. I was able think clearly and without pressure. When I told him my problems he didn’t judge or criticize me and he didn’t discourage or scold me like the friends and family who somehow failed to understand. Instead, he told me to take my time and he made me believe that everything would turn out fine. Then he reopened my laptop, gave me a reassuring pat on the back, and returned to his book. When I finished my work he helped me choose a major and even motivated me to get serious in my job searching. Thanks to his care and support, I regained my self-confidence and beat the stress. I cannot thank him enough for always being there.