Margaret - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: death

Eleven years ago when I was eighteen, I sat on my father’s death bed in North Carolina overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains while he explained to me all of the things that he thought I should know when he died. I remember the moment well and I am sure that I will never forget that my father’s tears welled in his eyes as he spoke of the children that I would one day have.

I have always been career driven with little ambition towards nine months of pregnancy but as I settle into my thirteeth year of life I realize two things… One is that my father did not give me his recipe for barbeque sauce (despite my begging) because he wanted me to figure it out on my own- that his was a creation of his training and history as a gourmet chef in Chicago, New York and Paris. And the second thing is that I believe my father knew that his daughter would create many things in honor of him including possibly a child. That creating a life is much like creating world famous barbeque sauce…A little of this and a little of that and a lot of love. Michael Beck was loved immensely and he created among many wonderful dishes and sauces a daughter who is deeply aware of his contribution to the world of food and the world of life. This holiday season I will be mixing into every thing I cook a little of this and a little of that and a lot of love. Because what my father really taught me was that living life is a lot like creating wonderful food, figuring it all out as you go along- attempting to add spice as needed and tasting it along the way… In living life and learning something new every day as my father used to say- I now believe.