Erika - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: race

Throughout my whole life, I have been exposed to all different ethnic groups. I spent the first five years of my life in Denver, and then moved to Maine then South Carolina, and then Virginia. I started kindergarten in Maine, continued in South Carolina then finished in Virginia. Most of my friends were Hispanic, African American, and Asian. I was never judge mental on the color of their skin or their ethnicity, I only wanted to make friends. When I lived in Virginia, my three best friends were Asian, and I always wanted to be with them because they had so much to share with me on their beliefs and cultural traditions. When my family and I moved to South Carolina, I went to a school where many of the students were African American. I loved to be around them because they were so different from me. I’ve grown up knowing that God created everyone equal, but that he gave each person their own unique set of gifts and talents. That’s what has always appealed to me, having so many different friends all with different talents to offer to the world. I’m so happy to know that everyone in this world is so distinct from one another. Just ponder the idea if everyone were the same; there would be nothing interesting because your friends and family would look, act, and dress the same, you wouldn’t be able to recognize and acknowledge people for the individuals they are, and our lives would be bare and simple. It makes me excited to learn about other people and their story, and to know that out of all the people in the world, no one is the same as you; each person is their own individual, with different appearances and personalities. Just think about how much knowledge you have obtained throughout your life on different cultures and beliefs. Our history is made up of every tongue, every tribe, and every nation, coming together to live, love, and celebrate one another’s differences as one. You may consist of a variety of ethnicities, or maybe just a few, but that is what makes you, you. Thank God for differences and uniqueness, and the ability to love and live with people that aren’t the same as you!