Kristen - Wichita, Kansas

I Believe in Soul Mates

When I was in fourth grade, I met Sarah Beth. A gangly girl, Sarah Beth was quite possibly one of the most annoying people I had ever met. Later, though, in sixth grade, Sarah Beth and I became best friends. We lived a block apart and we were inseparable. People confused us even though I am brunette with a million freckles and Sarah Beth has blonde hair and bright blue eyes.

Sarah Beth and I went through everything together. Like the times when we both lacked rides home from school, and we walked over a mile in the blazing heat of a South Georgia summer. There were blackberry bushes on the way home, so we would eat and sweat and talk about anything. Those times were beautiful. Sarah Beth knew everything about me. She became my soul mate.

In May of my eighth grade year, I found out I was moving. The destination was not quite certain, but what was certain was that my family was moving and I had to go with them. We were supposed to move the summer before ninth grade, but for various reasons that did not happen. The move was postponed a year. I could not keep a secret from Sarah Beth the whole time we had been best friends, but I kept this from her. I do not know why I did not tell her, but I just couldn’t. Ninth grade was perfect, yet disheartening, I knew that I would have to leave my best friend and soul mate. Eventually the move did come, and after many promises to stay best friends and to still talk, I was half way across the country from her in a place called Kansas.

The first day of school in Kansas was difficult. My best friend, my confidence, was not there to smile at me or laugh with me. I made friends and learned how to live without Sarah Beth right next to me.

Then I met Drew. When I first met him, I thought Drew was a jerk. His sarcasm and bluntness convinced me that we would never call each other more than acquaintances. Somehow, though, I caught a glimpse of his true character, his extraordinarily considerate character, and we became friends. As time went on, Drew and I were together more often than not and I found myself trusting him like I trusted Sarah Beth. It was different, of course, having a close relationship with a boy. There are no sleepovers and a guy’s perspective is quite different than a girl’s, but the friendship came just as easily and as quickly as it had before. Drew was my soul mate.

I am not the sort of person who likes the idea of teenage love, and I most certainly I am not the sort of person who takes the idea lightly. However, I am in love with two amazing people. I believe in soul mates.