Blair - Littleton, Colorado

Life can be fun, life can be full of laughs, life can be hard, and life is always full of surprises. Life doesn’t come with an answer key that tells you what to say, when to say it, and how and where to do it. Your responsibility as a person is to make these choices, the many choices that will affect your life and even those around you. These choices aren’t always easy, though. You can be pressured, influenced, even threatened into making certain decisions. Don’t you think that decisions that will affect your life should be made by you? I believe that everyone has the right to their own free thought and the liberty to do what they believe is right by them and in turn must accept and be responsible for the consequences. Across the world people are being pressured, influenced, and threatened to practice certain religions, to do exactly what the government wants, to try drugs, or to wear certain clothes. Here in the United States we are lucky enough to have the freedoms of the first amendment; freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom of religion, freedom of petition, and freedom of assembly. In other parts of the world, people are not so fortunate. People across the globe are being suppressed by cruel governments and violent rebel groups. For example in… Just imagine all of the new ideas and great thinkers the world would have if all people were allowed to voice their opinions and express them self! Even in the “Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave”, fellow Americans influence each others choices. Teenagers here at Arapahoe pressure their peers to do certain things. You have to wear certain clothes to be accepted in a certain group, you have to be smart to be his or her friend, and you have to smoke this cigarette to be “cool”. What is it with humans and thinking that they know what is best for others? They can’t just worry about themselves; they have to think for others too. We seem to expect too much from others and not enough from ourselves. We think that if we don’t make the decision for them, they won’t make the right one. But what we don’t understand that what is best for us isn’t always best for others. I think the worst mistake we can make is to cloud someone’s opinions because of our own biases and narrow mindedness. I believe that everyone has the right to their own free thought and the liberty to do what they believe is right, but in turn must accept and be responsible for the consequences.