Natalie - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: family, hope, illness

Ever since I was a little girl, I hoped for pointless objects, to be a princess or to get a pony. However as I grow older I’m realizing that hope and making hopes come true is what I believe in the most. Hope allows people to set goals of realistic things or to dream of things that aren’t so possible. After I hope for something, it tends to happen sooner or later because I want it to happen.

My sister is the person I know with the most amount of hope. A couple years ag, she was diagnosed with type one diabetes, the kind you can’t cure. Every day she has to prick her finger and get a few shots. If her blood sugar is too high or too low she feels sick and is in a bad mood. Even though these things happen to my little sister, she goes on with life hoping to be like every other kid. She hopes that she can get better in soccer and that she gets all A’s. I promise you that every day; my sister hopes that there will soon be a cure for diabetes. After all of this hoping, she takes those dreams and turns them into actions. She practices soccer in her spare time, works hard at her homework, and does various fundraisers for diabetes research.

I remember the day that my sister was diagnosed. While I was at school, she was stuck at the doctor’s office trying to figure out what was wrong. After school, a close family friend came to pick me up and said that something was wrong with my sister. I thought she was in a terrible accident. After my parents came to pick me up, they told me what was going on and that everything would be fine. My mom and I were a total mess and started sobbing. It completely amazed me that my sister didn’t cry once, or even complain. I talked to her recently about that day, and she told me that she was hoping that this was all a dream and she would be normal again. Since then, her hopes have partially come true. She can control her blood sugar pretty well and can do almost anything that any other kid can. She still hopes that there will be a cure. It really inspires me that she is so dedicated.

Now after seeing my sister take control of her diabetes, I believe that anything that you really hope for can be accomplished. Hopes gets stuck in your head, and you start to take action until they come true. If you don’t hope for anything, there is nothing for you to accomplish and your life would never move forward. In my sister’s case, if she didn’t hope to be normal she could become very ill. Because of all of her hoping, she is nearly living the life of every one else.

My hopes have changed since I was a little girl. Now I hope to become an architect instead of a princess, and I want my sister to live a happy and healthy life instead of getting a pony. Hopefully all of these dreams will come true with a little hard work.