Ben - Charlotte, North Carolina

27. The age of reckoning. The time when for most guys, we look back at our lives and wonder what is in our future. What could I have done different. Why do I rent an average two bedroom apartment in a mediocre part of the city. Why do I drive a Jeep with 200,000 miles getting soaked every time it rains, and swear up and down that I enjoy driving 25 or more miles a day when it’s 40 degrees and raining.

I graduated college like I was supposed to. But with degrees in computers , and a desire to be physical and interactive. Therefore, I have yet to use my college education. After graduation, I was a lawn man, a maintenance man at Sears, worked at a head shop (and no, I don’t smoke pot), I sold cars, and I even worked at your favorite coffee shop (you know the one, and damn I was good at it). Today, I work with my brother (well, brother-in-law) at a small advertising company.

I’m not starving. I went out last night for my buddies birthday. I had tuna sushi, some salmon sashimi, grilled veggies and rice, along with a few gin and tonics (top shelf). I’m not starving.

I don’t buy clothes usually. I wear some of the same things I did in high school, lucky for me, jeans and a t-shirt are timeless (except for maybe my Bjork t-shirt, too many people mistake it for Michael Jackson).

The last 6 months of my age 27 tenure, I’ve noticed more wrinkles, more grays, and the inevitable aches and pains. I see commercials for medicines that help you pee normally, and wonder when I will need that. I see my friends settling down, getting married, and I get to watch the videos of myself giving speeches at weddings for the people I love most. My buddy Geoff even named one of his sons Ben, after myself and our other buddy, we call him Big Ben, for whom my latest wedding speech was for.

At present, I am in a dead-end relationship, and we both know it. I think it’s keeping us both occupied till one of us finds someone else.

The beauty and curse of the number 27 is that your 10 year reunion is quickly approaching. God I hope they’ll be serving drinks. First, it’s in a town I wrote off a while ago. Second, there are so few people I care about. But, damn, I want to show up with a beautiful woman on my arm and stories of grandeur. I do have a few advantages however, I’m still thin and in good shape, I can say I’m part owner of a growing advertising business, I moved away to a better place (only 1 out of 10 people even moved, let alone out of the state), and to top it off, I’m better looking than I have ever been.

This I believe, I ain’t got it so bad.